Comments about all grids

bonehead @ #12306: agreed (1 hour, 19 minutes ago)

bonehead @ #12313: The 4 names would have been better if there had been a red herring - you can just select the 4 names without knowing the connection (1 hour, 23 minutes ago)

aardvark @ #12306: Need to fix accepted answers e.g. "4 sided" acceptable answer, "electr" would allow electronic as well as electrical. (3 hours, 21 minutes ago)

Nick @ #12306: yes, the fact that the 4 in that group are all quadrilaterals made choosing it easier, and triangle wasnt the intended red herring, Nice 4 anagrams! (3 hours, 52 minutes ago)

Nick @ #12313: agree regarding the 4th '15'. I had the other 3 (very clever connection) but was just guessing and failed. Enjoyable though, nice red herrings (3 hours, 58 minutes ago)

Wiz @ #7692: Lob is a word tho! (4 hours, 10 minutes ago)

Colm @ #12298: One of my favourites so far; well done (4 hours, 14 minutes ago)

Sid Kneebridge @ #12313: Found it tough, but enjoyable (5 hours, 53 minutes ago)

4by4 @ #12313: Point taken thanks! (5 hours, 55 minutes ago)

Ya Boi @ #7692: Good Grid (6 hours, 48 minutes ago)

dog @ #12279: last set a bit obtuse (8 hours, 15 minutes ago)

smh @ #12313: gotta agree with Ridiculous regarding the decimalisation clue. surely a better reference for 15th was available. Apart from that, this was an excellent grid. really enjoyed it. (8 hours, 52 minutes ago)

smh @ #12245: All I was trying to do in the first place was point out the inconsistency in that connection. You have one country name that doesn't exist anymore, one country that is not a country, and one country written in its native language. (btw I never said Ireland was not a country) If you are struggling to crowbar answers in to make a specific connection then maybe you should just think of a different/better connection. I saw the Barbarians play south Africa in rugby, does that make them a country? your justification falls down again because the Cook Islands are yet another independent nation with non country status. Countries with i as the second letter, next time use FIJI. (Fiji is fine!) Or as Jim says, if the connection is places, use Fiji, Niue and Dili. Just don't class them as countries in the explanations. I will certainly join you in a beer (9 hours, 1 minute ago)

Jim @ #12245: I really enjoyed this, Blues: it was a creative, original concept, and I found all four to be easy once I noticed what the equalities meant. Every quizzer, crossword buff, or geography buff knows Niue, so I'm surprised people are calling it obscure. I'm even more surprised by the back-and-forth over whether Niue is a country: the theme is "Places=2i," not "Countries=2i," so who cares whether it's a country? No one can deny that it's a place. (13 hours, 22 minutes ago)

Banderbear @ #12305: Accepted trees even though that wasn't the answer shown, didn't accept queen (14 hours, 24 minutes ago)

Ridiculous @ #12313: 15th of Feb yes well known date that one (16 hours, 54 minutes ago)

Omegaman @ #12305: Would not accept trees for oak etc (17 hours, 7 minutes ago)

Omegaman @ #12306: Liked this but would not accept 4 sided figures for the shapes. (17 hours, 17 minutes ago)

Blues @ #12245: Smh, Johnny Truth (Wiz)... Apology first to Smh if you thought I was flippant, that wasn't the intention although in hindsight it looks it. Secondly I didn't post the reply to you both after your excellent dissertations on national identity somebody obviously did it on my behalf. Now here's my two cents worth... Take a moment to consider what I tried to do to form this particular grid. Each row had three "three letter" words and a clue. The three letter words in each row were originally "four letter" words with an identical letter removed which also had to occupy the same position in each of the original words in its own row but in a different position to all the other rows. The three letter words that were left also had to make sense rather than be just a collection of letters (where possible). This restricted things a little. When it came to "countries" that were 4 letters long, with the second letter "i" my scope was very limited. This was why Niue appeared. As to whether Niue is a bona-fida country then this is open to debate but I offer the following:- I listed countries with 4 letters and Niue popped up all over the place. I then checked it with Wikipedia (not fool proof I know) but the opening statement is:- " Niue is an island country" I also saw them play rugby against the Cook Islands... So logic told me, for the sake of this quiz, that Niue passed most tests (although apparently not the UN's) I did not ask for a UN ratified country or an independent nation or sovereign state, simply a country. This begs the question how were countries classified pre October 24th 1945? or even before the 10th January 1920? when we had neither the UN or its forerunner "the League of Nations." (I don't know) As to Wales or Scotland or Ireland not being countries... 1. Point at a map of the Island or Ireland and ask any schoolchild what two countries make up the island and they will tell you Eire (or the republic) and N.I. 2. Walk into any pub in Glasgow and ask them what nationality they are or what country they live in.... Also wasn't James king of both countries? 3. Every time I cross the Severn bridge driving west out of England I pass a sign "Welcome to Wales" on the border of the two countries. Undoubtedly your information is irrefutable but sometimes we have to bow to common consciousness. Nevertheless thank you for taking the time to reply. (Ooops nearly forgot Smh, the reason I asked you if you finished the grid was simply out of curiosity, I could not imagine you getting so enraged had you waltzed through it. It is quite a strange grid because I have retried it since and struggled and I thought I knew the answers... (I knew Niue anyway.) Beer now. (18 hours, 1 minute ago)

knife @ #11821: Why do the mascots, exclusively in the answers, all begin with lowercase letters? Doesn't that give the game away somwhat, even if you don't know what the link is? (20 hours, 5 minutes ago)

toast @ #12291: I've found all your grids entertaining. Thanks. (23 hours, 34 minutes ago)

PaulyT @ #12306: Good but the answers quite specific. Didn't accept shape or anagram or electricity! (1 day, 2 hours ago)

Colm @ #12283: Roation should be rotation? (1 day, 4 hours ago)

chris @ #12294: I got thinking Will Smith Films which threw me off for a minute or so. (Hancock, Independence day, I am Legend, Fresh prince of Bel Air), If that was intentional then well done! One of your best. (1 day, 6 hours ago)

Drake59 @ #12292: Apologies for the mistakes in this grid. For example I spelled Integral incorrectly. I have remade this grid it's No 12306 (1 day, 11 hours ago)

Jim @ #12291: Enjoyed that, especially the anagrams. I often see ludicrously obscure themes on here, but Bible books aren't one of them. They're mainstream knowledge, and I'm not at all religious. (1 day, 13 hours ago)

Al @ #3322: Didn't know "secret sharer" was a think, and had to look up "special Olympics", but enjoyed the grid. (1 day, 14 hours ago)

Jim @ #12206: Thanks, Wiz, I didn't realize one of the businesses was a chain. Of course, now I'm tempted to invent a set of toppings for a farmhouse pizza: maybe ham, chicken, and turnips. (1 day, 15 hours ago)

Jim @ #12302: I don't think this is a general-interest grid. Even from the answers, I can't tell what three of the groups mean, and the fourth one is incorrect: the Rolling Stones, the Police, and Guns N' Roses aren't goth/emo bands. (1 day, 15 hours ago)

Drake59 @ #12300: Apologies for all the mistakes in this grid. For example Freighter is spelled incorrectly. This grid should have be catergorised a Easy. I have remade the grid it is no 12305 (1 day, 15 hours ago)

Jessie @ #12302: Bye bye ! (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Samir @ #12302: This awsome the whole world should do it!It is the best quiz ever! (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Inshalah @ #12302: This is great i will recomend it to anyone i see. (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Malaikah @ #12302: this is the best quiz there is nothing you could improve! however personaloy it should be in extra easy . (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Mamoona @ #12302: this is the best quiz it was easy for me but i like all of the bands so i have an advantage. (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Anisah @ #12302: This was great but chalinging (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Ramón Martínez @ #12252: I agree with Sally. (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Ramón Martínez @ #12252: I agree with Sally. (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Wiz @ #12301: How embarrassing.oh dear. (1 day, 19 hours ago)

Anisah @ #12301: This is the best thing ever i recomend it (1 day, 19 hours ago)

Mamooona @ #12301: I think this is quit good personly however i am a great fan of all of these bands . (1 day, 19 hours ago)

Angel @ #12301: This the best quiz ever! You could not posibly improve anything about it (1 day, 19 hours ago)

Wiz @ #12301: Good ,fun,but explanations rather wordy.enjoyed it tho! (1 day, 19 hours ago)

Malaikah @ #12301: I thought it was very good and there was nothing that they could improve! (1 day, 19 hours ago)

Peekay @ #3464: Tess https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_St._Helens (1 day, 19 hours ago)

Bubble @ #8494: True to rating (1 day, 21 hours ago)

Hampton Quimbles @ #12290: Hampton agrees with Sunny. Quite nice groupings but herringless puzz is scarce puzz at all. (1 day, 21 hours ago)

Hampton Quimbles @ #12291: Ludicrously obscure biblical puzz. (1 day, 21 hours ago)

Hampton Quimbles @ #12293: Good stuff. I for one won't rail against the railway line line. Might quibble the Hong Kong line, however, since one of the four actually requires 'Island' in its name while the other three would never be referred to as such. (1 day, 21 hours ago)

Hampton Quimbles @ #12294: Solid grid. Not too many twists and turns but intriguing, like an episode of Bergerac. (1 day, 22 hours ago)

Sally can dance @ #12252: Excellent thanks (1 day, 22 hours ago)

Hkh @ #12295: Fun (2 days ago)

Wiz @ #12298: I am even more excited now! (2 days ago)

Jon @ #12228: Bit tricky (2 days ago)

Barty @ #12298: Your name popping up in the comments regularly did inspire that group. (2 days ago)

Jon @ #12282: Great fun :) (2 days ago)

Wiz @ #12298: A grid with me in it. I'm excited.i enjoyed it too. (2 days ago)

Alex @ #11994: Sadly I don't think so! (2 days, 1 hour ago)

SO @ #11994: Hahaha! Papa New Guinea. A joke, right?! (2 days, 1 hour ago)

Wiz @ #12245: Wifi? I meant will of course. (2 days, 2 hours ago)

Wiz @ #12245: Thanks for all the detailed knowledge! I live and learn and wifi endeavour to remember at least some of all that. (2 days, 2 hours ago)

Fluff @ #12293: Hampshire rail towns very specific! (2 days, 3 hours ago)

Wiz @ #12206: Jim, I think it must mean the chain of restaurants with that name rather than type of pizza . (2 days, 3 hours ago)

Neymar Jr @ #12293: Captains has seriously been done to death now. It must have been used in about 1000 grids. (2 days, 3 hours ago)

Johnny Truth @ #12252: The ratings seemed to have picked up now. And deservedly so. I agree smh, top grid this (2 days, 5 hours ago)

Blues @ #12245: Fair play. I stand corrected. good knowledge (2 days, 6 hours ago)

Smh @ #12245: Thanks Johnny, but actually your data is a little dated now. South Sudan I believe is the newest country, having split from Sudan in 2011. (2 days, 6 hours ago)

Sunny @ #12290: 3 easy ones with only one red herring. Couldn't get Grand national winners. There needs to be more red herrings It's way too easy if there are only 4 possible &^%£s. (2 days, 6 hours ago)

Johnny Truth @ #12245: Blues: Im afraid Smh is correct. What makes an independent State or a country today? Has internationally recognized land and borders even if border disputes exist; Has permanent residents; Has sovereignty so that no other country has power over its territory; Has organized economic activity that regulates foreign and domestic trade and issues money; Has a transportation network for moving goods and people; Has an education system; Has recognition from other independent states How many countries are there in the world? Today, there are 195 independent countries or states recognized in the world. Kosovo, which declared independence from Serbia in February 2008 is the newest country. Territories, such as Hong Kong, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, and Greenland that belong to other countries are not considered countries. Disputes often arise when a territory claims to be a country, but is not recognized by any other countries. Taiwan, for example, claims to be an independent country, but China states that Taiwan is a part of China. Therefore, other countries that don’t want to upset China also do not recognize Taiwan as independent. What are a nation and a nation-state? A nation is a group of people who share the same culture, language, institutions, religion, and history—usually a group of people larger than a tribe or community. When a nation of people has an independent State of their own it is often called a nation-state. The Kurds are a nation without a State, but France, Germany, and Japan are examples of nation-states. (2 days, 6 hours ago)

Sunny @ #12291: 3 very easy groups with no red herrings. Couldn't do the anagrams :( (2 days, 6 hours ago)

Sunny @ #12293: Good red herrings. hampshire rail towns a bit specialist. (2 days, 6 hours ago)

Smh @ #12245: Blues: I am sure that Wales, N.I, Scotland and England are considered CONSTITUENT COUNTRIES that make up the UNITED KINGDOM, which is the country. Niueans (people from Niue) are citizens of New Zealand. Both the united kingdom and new zealand recognise the UN so YES. Who cares? you ask. who cares? very flippant. clearly YOU care enough to throw your 2 cents in. However the point here is what is actually defined as a country. Is palestine a country, what about Christiania, or the Turkish republic of northern cyprus, what about Puerto Rico, is that a country, all of these places would like country status, and im sure it matters to many of the citizens of those places. None of them are however deemed to be countries by the strictest definitions, (and it is important to have definitions of such things) most of them can be considered nations, but there is the distinction. You couldn't have a connection with FOOTBALL teams for example and then use one team that doesn't exist any more and another one who plays american football. As to whether or not I finished the rid, I fail to see how that matters. Lets say I didn't quite manage to finish, or lets say I smashed it in 30 seconds, does either of those outcomes affect whether or not those places are countries? (2 days, 6 hours ago)

Nellington @ #12291: Very nice. Quite proud of myself for getting the anagrams :-) (2 days, 15 hours ago)

Edwardo Muscrat Fragrentcarcus Tailbone-Dangling @ #12282: Oh yes,oh yes my little friend,oh Jesus God yessssssssssssssssssssssss. (2 days, 16 hours ago)

Jim @ #12206: Fun grid. What's a farmhouse pizza? Google isn't helping since it's just returning business listings for pizzerias with Farmhouse in their names. (2 days, 16 hours ago)

Jim @ #12205: The Melba group was nice, but the Ever and Never groups weren't very interesting, IMHO. In particular, surely there were more interesting options than Is and In (such as Queens, High, or Green). Also, other than Victoria and Cleopatra being queens (which wasn't close to forming a four-item group), there weren't any crossovers. (2 days, 17 hours ago)

4by4 @ #1167: Really well constructed. I suspect it is one where you get nowhere or complete it once you spot the common theme. (2 days, 17 hours ago)

4by4 @ #1167: (2 days, 17 hours ago)

Sally can dance @ #12282: https://youtu.be/FbuluDBHpfQ (2 days, 17 hours ago)

AtillaThePun @ #1396: Thumbs up (2 days, 17 hours ago)

me @ #12286: Don't put capitals in link answer (2 days, 18 hours ago)

TomBola @ #12282: Nice one (2 days, 19 hours ago)

4by4 @ #12279: Very clever and challenging. Only got the actual stinker! (2 days, 19 hours ago)

toast @ #12280: Good one thanks. (2 days, 20 hours ago)

toast @ #12279: I like it. (2 days, 20 hours ago)

Doc @ #12244: You lot might like this: https://youtu.be/bUc4fAti5PY (2 days, 20 hours ago)

JamEll @ #12244: Blimey. I never had dancing Sally down as a computer nerd, I had thought she was too cool for school ;-) (2 days, 20 hours ago)

Drake59 @ #184: Good grid. Enjoyed it thoroughly although there is an error. The Monopoly pieces I put in pieces in Monopoly which it didn't accept and it should of the Top category Top Dog could also work as well as Top Hat, so nice red herring. All and all a hard grid to crack but not that hard. Thumbs up! (2 days, 20 hours ago)

Nellington @ #12282: Different. I like it! (2 days, 20 hours ago)

Drake59 @ #2312: Great grid lots of fun. Didn't know that there was a Captain Scarlet, so there's something new that I learned. However in the category for happy, pleasant meaning words. I put positive words down which it should of accepted as the words in the clues were positive thinking words. But all in all a good grid. Well done! (2 days, 21 hours ago)

Nellington @ #12280: A tough grid (especially the 13 connection!) but fair. Nice job :-) (2 days, 21 hours ago)

Al @ #389: Liked this one a lot. Gutted to miss the link on the collective nouns. My *nix commands are a bit rusty, but I got there. Nice combo of sin/deadly sins, cot/bed etc. (2 days, 22 hours ago)

Sid Kneebridge @ #12273: Straightforward, but great fun. (2 days, 23 hours ago)

E.L. Wisty @ #12278: Thanks, feedback appreciated. Points noted. (2 days, 23 hours ago)

Shamefaced sally @ #12270: The other one,sadly. (3 days ago)

Jester @ #12276: A very easy grid. One for a beginner to try. (3 days, 4 hours ago)

Sally can dance @ #12264: 2 easy categories and 2 more challenging. The countries had me stumped. (3 days, 4 hours ago)

Jester @ #12270: Which one of you is the original Sally can dance? I'm confused! (3 days, 4 hours ago)

Sally can dance @ #12278: I enjoyed the cryptic tree clues. I was stumped by the ties. (3 days, 4 hours ago)

4by4 @ #12278: Did not accept singular tree unfortunately. You've scuppered a grid I was working on around the seven dwarfs - bASHful! Still enjoyed it. (3 days, 5 hours ago)

By default only the most recent 100 comments are displayed. Display all.